Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
I really enjoy baking cakes, and usually I use this frosting for my cakes. This buttercream recipe tastes great with so many different types of cakes.
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, softened to room temperautre
- 4-5 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream, half-and-half, or whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- salt, to taste
- With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add 4 and 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, the heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to medium-high speed and beat for 2 full minutes. Add up to 1/2 cup more confectioners’ sugar if frosting is too thin or another tablespoon of cream if frosting is too thick. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
- Use immediately or cover tightly and store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. After freezing, thaw in the refrigerator then beat the frosting on medium speed for a few seconds so it’s creamy again. After thawing or refrigerating, beating in a splash of heavy cream or milk will help thin the frosting out again, if needed.